When your main client is the federal government, you want to make sure you’re delivering on time and on budget. Defence Construction Canada (DCC), a provider of infrastructure and environmental services to the Department of National Defence, knows this all too well. The business prides itself on operational efficiency. But with 75 different site managers in 40 locations countrywide manually entering project data into spreadsheets, accurate and effective budgeting and reporting was becoming increasingly difficult.Today, with a single, modern cloud planning system, data coming in from site managers is much more accurate when its rolled up to the finance team. Now, rather than spending time manipulating spreadsheets, the finance team is instead using that extra time to analyze trends to better manage the project and provide sound advice that drives better business decisions. In fact, the finance team estimates a savings of $200,000 per year in employee time once spent on spreadsheets, but now spent analyzing data.
- Planning workforce capacity – With workforce costs accounting for 90 percent of DCC’s expenditures, tracking billable hours to develop how much staff time is needed for each project was crucial but becoming increasingly difficult using spreadsheets.
- Duplication of efforts – For years, DCC tried to create a model that would link their operational planning to their budgeting to avoid duplicating efforts between the business planning side and the revenue planning side of the business leading to a duplication of data between departments.
- Hard to match skillsets with projects – the skill set required to build a garage versus a million-dollar hangar is quite different, and reallocating the necessary employees across different jobsites with different timelines and budgets was quite complicated.
- Lack of system integration – Pulling separate reports from different internal systems was complicated, cumbersome and already outdated by the time the report results.
- Efficient workforce planning - Using Adapted Insights, DCC has one tool that allows the finance team to do projections, workforce planning and modeling as they drill down within minutes into different cost centers to find disconnects between their resource planning and their revenue.
- Operational planning – With Adaptive Insights, DCC is finally able to avoid duplication and tie together the business and revenue models with flexible project-based planning that feeds budgets and forecasts.
- Skill-based planning - In Adaptive Insights, the finance team can now allocate the proper level of resources to the correct projects at the correct rate, and match skillsets appropriately to make sure employees are working at full capacity on the right jobs.
- Integrated data feeds insights – Different ERP systems are now integrated into Adaptive Insights giving the finance team the ability to see what the business is doing and what the finances look like on a daily basis, and provide detailed transaction reports in minutes.