Cloud-based finance makes data available anywhere for business users and finance alike
The business model of the Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau (ACVB) is pretty simple: attract tourists to one of the South’s most forward-thinking cities. However, there was nothing progressive about the agency’s budgeting system. “We had to collect data from multiple departments that were in spreadsheets spread throughout multiple locations,” says Braam du Plooy, controller for ACVB.
Since the organization added the Adaptive Insights Business Planning Cloud, the welcome mat has been laid out for improved collaboration and flexibility. “Now, since the information is there and accurate, managers can use the data to act and respond quickly and proactively. That collaboration is wonderful to actually witness from my side, to see how people are actually now being involved in the whole process,” says du Plooy.
The centralized data in the cloud didn’t just increase collaboration. It gave the finance team both more time to spend on higher-value tasks like analysis and more time to spend at home. “With Adaptive Insights, I can take the kids to school, get work done at home, pick them up for activities, and then work again from home later in the evening. I can do what’s needed, whenever and whatever I want, and produce great results.”
- Randomly saved budget spreadsheets in different email inboxes and departmental folders
- Limited to producing plans with simplistic assumptions while the inability to compare assumptions year-over-year made it difficult to identify trends
- Lacked visibility into the overall organization budget while limiting ownership of the budget by business managers
- Increased data reliability while reducing data input and validation time with centralized, automated data collection from the ACVB’s Sage Intacct ERP
- Increased visibility into actuals, budget, and forecast by program and type with cubes for each department
- Centralized budgets in the cloud to increase access to finance and business users in different offices, on the road or at home